Marcus Hotels & Resorts
Hotel Development Services
Strong Partner / Powerful Results
Marcus Hotels & Resorts has delivered powerful results for hotel owners, developers and investors for nearly 50 years. When you partner with Marcus, you work with a dynamic management team that has decades of experience in successfully developing, maintaining and repositioning full-service hotels and resorts. A team that knows how to drive top-line sales and bottom-line performance. A team that is focused on results. A team that is committed to positive returns.
Our development experience includes:
- Innovative public-private partnership that restored a dilapidated historic hotel to its position as the city's social epicenter
- F&B accolades from USA Today for a staid cocktail lounge turned trendy and highly profitable martini bar
- New build expertise includes co-development of a sophisticated suburban hotel that has achieved YOY RevPAR increases since 2008 – in a crowded market during a challenging economy
- Rebranding and repositioning a downtown hotel, transforming it into a hip and trendy choice and drawing young professionals and generated a 38% increase in RevPAR in its first full year
Building Rewarding Relationships
You're looking for a partner and we want to grow our portfolio. Let's see if we can work together.
Our portfolio includes a mix of distinctive owned, joint venture and managed assets – both brand affiliated and independent. We have managed properties for leading hotel development companies including W. P. Carey, Waterton Associates, Goldman Sachs and Arcon, as well as smaller family businesses.
We look for opportunities to leverage our comprehensive capabilities and well established track record into mutually rewarding relationships with owners of full-service properties, where we can add value and improve performance.
Projects of special interest include:
- Management contracts
- Joint ventures
- Redevelopment projects (we have extensive experience in historic renovations)
- Rebranding or repositioning of hotel and resort projects
- Select receivership opportunities
- Acquiring distressed loans or mortgages
Opportunities that are a good fit for us generally fall within the following guidelines:
- Urban hotels and destination resorts in the top 50 MSAs
- Major hotel brands or conversion to major brands as well as selected independent hotels
- 3 to 4 star full service quality level
- Room counts ranging from 150 – 500 rooms
The Marcus Hotels & Resorts team is also open to discussing other opportunities where our capabilities can benefit your hotel or resort.
Providing Financial Expertise
Marcus Hotels & Resorts brings nearly 50 years of management experience, available equity and a strong balance sheet. We are a division of The Marcus Corporation, a NYSE-listed company known for its strong operating philosophies, long term real estate ownership, value creation and financial strength.
Funding sources we can utilize include:
- TIF financing
- New market tax credits
- Federal and state historic tax credits
- EB-5 federal program
Starting the Process
While each project is different, we take an organized approach in evaluating opportunities. Our goal is to get to know you, your property and your strategic plan, as well as share our ideas and performance targets. Once we've discussed these important elements, we can then mutually determine if a relationship can be created. To begin the process, we:
- Visit both the sponsor and the property to determine if there is a shared vision for the asset
- Evaluate the market to understand the supply and demand characteristics
- Recommend improvements and strategies
- Develop a customized business plan focused on the needs of the property and the owner. The plan could potentially include repositioning, rebranding, redeployment of people or continuing on the same course
- We would then present our proposal, which includes our respective responsibilities, our proposed fees, contract duration, performance requirements and owner obligations
- We will bring our strong ethics and Midwestern values to every transaction