Success Story: Independent Hotel
The Pfister Hotel, Milwaukee, Wis.
As the first property in the Marcus Hotels & Resorts portfolio, the Pfister sets the standard for the company's commitment to providing exceptional amenities and gracious service.
Originally opened in 1893, this iconic Milwaukee hotel was purchased by Ben Marcus, founder of The Marcus Corporation, in 1962 to prevent the demolition of this historic property. Ben's vision was to turn the hotel into the premier luxury hotel and social center of Milwaukee – which is exactly what happened. As the first property in the Marcus Hotels & Resorts portfolio, the Pfister sets the standard for the company's commitment to providing exceptional amenities and gracious service. In fact, as guests enter the hotel lobby they are welcomed by "Salve," a traditional greeting representing unfailing hospitality.
Role of Marcus Hotels
- Added a tower and parking garage in the early 1970s to meet the high demand for the hotel
- Continue to reinvest in the property to maintain its historic significance and introduce the latest in guest amenities
- Reinvented the top floor lounge into one of Milwaukee's premier evening hot spots, Blu, converted lease space into one of Milwaukee's top rated restaurants, Mason Street Grill, introduced and branded the luxurious WELL Spa and recently renovated the guest rooms, meeting spaces and lobby café
- Curate the largest Victorian art collection of any hotel in the world
- Established the first Artist in Residence program in Milwaukee. The program is a member of the international Alliance of Artists Communities, the service organization for the field of artists' communities and residencies
- Long standing RevPAR leader in its market
- Maintains position as the social center of the city; location for 43 of the 50 major balls and galas in Milwaukee each year
- Earned memberships in the most exclusive hotel organizations in the world including Historic Hotels of America and Preferred Hotels & Resorts Worldwide. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- 455 jobs created
- Ranked among the Top 25 Luxury Hotels in the United States in TripAdvisor’s 10th Annual 2012 Travelers’ Choice Awards
- One of Wisconsin’s six lodging properties that received AAA’s highest Diamond Award ratings for 2011. One of only 14 hotels in the nation to have received this distinction since the inception of the award program in 1977.
- Received AAA Four-Diamond rating for 36 consecutive years
- Named among the World's Best Places to Stay by Conde Nast Traveler Gold List
- Named one of 500 Expedia Insiders Select hotels out of 130,000 hotels worldwide on Expedia
- Recognized as a Historic Milwaukee 2009 Honoree –a joint award with The Marcus Corporation
- Rated in the Top 1% of Hotels in Expedia
- Artist-in-Residence Program 2010 – 2012
- A recipient of the 2009 Preferred Hotels GIFTS Certificate of Excellence
- 2011 Marcus Hotels & Resorts President’s Award
- Received the World's Best Business Hotel Award for Milwaukee by Travel & Leisure
- Recognized by Green Travel Wisconsin for environmental sustainability
- Historic Milwaukee 2009 Honoree – joint award with the Marcus Corporation